Dr. Donovan is trained in the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure, or LANAP® protocol,
which is a laser-based treatment for gum disease. The LANAP® protocol uses a special dental
laser, the PerioLase® MVP-7™. A tiny fiber about the width of three human hairs in inserted
between the gum tissue and teeth, where it targets and destroys bacteria deep within the
pockets of the gums without affecting healthy tissue.
There is no cutting and suturing with the LANAP protocol. Patients typically report less pain and
discomfort during and after the procedure, compared to traditional periodontal surgery. This
patient friendly procedure helps you get healthy again comfortably, without fear. Generally, the
LANAP protocol is less invasive than traditional surgery and helps maintain a beautiful smile line
The LANAP protocol is a patented periodontal treatment, cleared by the FDA in 2004. The
procedure can only be done with the PerioLase® MVP-7; this laser operates at a specific
wavelength that attacks the bacteria that contributes to gum disease while leaving healthy
tissue intact. Post-surgical recession and tooth sensitivity, which can be significant following
traditional gum surgery, are also greatly reduced.
Because of the gentle nature of the procedure, patients typically see immediate results with less
bleeding when brushing and less bad breath. Of course, your gums need time to recover and
heal, but after LANAP® treatment, you can drive your car, go back to work, or do anything else
• Faster Healing – LANAP® treatment is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal
• Less Discomfort – Patients report less discomfort during and after surgery.
• No Cut, No Sew, No Fear – the LANAP protocol uses laser light energy to eliminate the bacteria
that cause gum disease, and help your mouth recover faster
• Minimal Recovery Time – Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
• Little to No Gum Recession – Because the procedure doesn’t require cutting the gums, there is less
risk of recession and your beautiful smile is maintained.
• Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding – The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory
bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
• Saves Teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been
deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments. Keeping your natural teeth has been linked to a
• Safe for patients with Health Concerns –LANAP® protocol is safe for patients with health concerns
such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.